The Nederland Community Center began life as a school around 1880. It was remodeled by a WPA project in 1936-7, creating the gymnasium and the massive stone wall in the community room. In the 1960’s the building was expanded, and a west wing was added. In 1997 the Town of Nederland purchased the site and re-opened the building as a community center, home to the police station, the new library, and a variety of local nonprofits.
After a giant snowstorm wrecked the roof in March, 2003, the Center was completely renovated with “green” technology. It re-opened in 2007 and soon added a new fitness facility, new seats in the theatre, daylighting in the gym and community room, and an up-to-date commercial kitchen.